Wednesday, January 5, 2011

talk about being surprised!

although really, when you think about it, I shouldn't be. I was hoping against hope that our new governor would be okay. I was hoping because he is from Ann Arbor that maybe, just maybe, he'd be different than the other white elitist republicans. However, based on his current appointments of the people chosen to head the Department of Human Services, I see I am very wrong about him.

Maura Corrigan. Talk about a homophobe! She sent an order in 2002 to Washtenaw County to stop them from allowing 2 parent adoptions. SHE ordered them to stop. She belongs to the Federalist Society. Check them out: http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/federalist-society

Also appointed: Brian Rooney. Member of the Thomas Moore Law Center. http://www.thomasmore.org/default-sb_thomasmore.html?959127088 - enough said about him.

I am SO worried that these right-wingers will stop allowing us to have gay and lesbian foster parents. One of the best dad's I've worked with has said "I hope they don't turn us into Florida, where you can't even be a foster parent if you're gay or lesbian."

So I say to Rick Snyder: please stop telling people you are from Ann Arbor, it gives people the impression that you care, that you are open-minded, and that you are full of compassion and love for your fellow man. And since you're apparently just another rich, white, elitist..... you make the rest of us here in Ann Arbor who work hard to have that open, compassionate image look bad.

In 4 days he has blown my confidence in this department to smithereens. I can only hope it will be a short 4 years.

No comments: