Sunday, December 12, 2010

winter


it's a tough time of year. the days are shorter. there's all this pressure to "buy buy buy". *sigh* I don't like it. how did we get roped into this mass materialism. sure, we need clothes, shoes, tires for our car. but do we NEED gameboys? do we NEED the x-box? do we NEED showtime and a dvr? you may think you do.... the videos to keep your kids occupied and happy. the dvr to waste your time at night instead of reading a real book, not one on kindle- jebus, who the hell thought that one up?- just let me have a book I can hold onto. one with a cover, pages, and a bookmark to keep the place I stop at when my eyes are burning and I'm too tired to read anymore. Oh, don't get me too wrong....I have a laptop, I'm typing on it right now. I have a cell phone, a nice stereo. but I can't help thinking about the commercial I saw last year for some electronic day-book, it said at the end, "You didn't know you needed it til now." because it didn't exist til then!

I think we should minimize. It would take all this pressure off of us. It would probably help us all feel a little better about our economic situation. So people, if you're getting a gift from me this year, don't be surprised if it isn't store-bought. It's my own little way of rebelling.... besides, I'm just as broke as everyone else!!! Happy Holidays.

No comments: